I will be rolling out a new diagram/ graphic next month that depicts how my service lines “work together” to dramatically improve performance. In the interim, I thought I’d talk about the first step which is rapid assessments that deliver success. A few tips include:
1. Take a cross-functional view – Only assessments which cross functional lines will provide significant value as no function works alone.
2. Look for connections – It is where the various functions, systems, processes, and people cross that is essential. Focus on these areas.
3. Focus only on those areas impacting the critical objectives – Too many assessments take forever and end up in binders covered in dust on your desk. Throw that thinking out and go for the practical – what really matters to your organization?
4. Consider priorities – How are you determining which items are most important? Take a step back and think about whether it is 1) urgent. 2) significant in impact 3) getting better, worse or staying the same on a daily basis
5. Keep best practices & fundamentals in mind – An easy way to rapidly size-up where to focus is to think about the current state vs. fundamentals for the type of business vs. best practices. When all is said and done, where do you come out?
6. Capabilities – The best plans are useless if the team is incapable of understanding the plan or how to execute it. Incorporate your capabilities and provide recommendations to fill gaps.
Did you like this article? Continue reading on this topic: