Early in the year is an appropriate time to perform a systems audit. In fact, most clients could benefit from this at any time of the year as we often discover some significant gaps.
As we look further, we consider this subset of the questions:
- Do you have clarity of your current processes? It certainly seems apparent to start here but there are many clients who would check a box less than a “B” rating. How about you?
- Do your people and/or facilities perform processes in a standard way? Do you want them to do this? Or do you encourage differentiation? There is no right answer across-the-board here!
- Do you know how to utilize your ERP system to support your core processes? Do you hunt and poke around until you figure it out or is there clarity for the basic elements of the process? Perhaps take a step back – does anyone know how to use the system to perform these processes?
- Do you look for opportunities to further leverage your ERP system by joining user groups, going to conferences, brainstorming with your team etc.? The vast majority of companies use 20% of an ERP system’s functionality. Moving the needle to 30% of the best functionality for supporting your business objectives can accelerate results.
- How do your processes and systems interface with your customers, suppliers and other supply chain partners? If you don’t know, find out! You might be missing a HUGE opportunity.
A regular audit of your system can uncover types of opportunities. When was your last checkup?