In the last month, almost every client has had some sort of challenge with talent. Most clients and contacts have lost a high-quality person. All have experienced a lack of talent or the appropriate skills to meet customer demand. For example, finding temporary resources has proven quite the challenge. Watch our video on what we’re seeing in the market. Are you paying attention?
One Tip to Implement This Week:
Since people are on the move, there is NO DOUBT that we must get on top of our human resources. We cannot prevent people leaving because they want to change careers or industries, but we can prevent those who are leaving due to leadership. After all, people don’t leave companies, they leave people!
The good news is that you can improve this situation immediately.
Focus on your people.
- Have you clearly communicated where you are headed?
- Have your leaders talked with each direct report individually about how he/she fits into the future?
- Do you have a performance check-in process quarterly, at minimum?
- Are you providing career advancement? Ex. promotions, additional responsibility, training and/or mentoring, etc.
- Are you upfront with your people? Communicate what you are able to communicate. Tell them what you cannot communicate but make sure they know you will tell them immediately as you are able. Anytime leaders keep things from employees, employees make up FAR worse stories. Good people exist. Weak people stay and become disgruntled.
- How effective are your leaders?
- Of course, this assumes you are taking care of the basics such as safety, quality, COVID, etc.
Read more about navigating and successfully emerging post COVID-19 in my free eBook Future-Proofing Manufacturing & Supply Chain Post COVID-19. Please send your feedback and stories. I will incorporate them in an article, video or interview.