A significant percentage of my trusted and valued friends and business colleagues have gone through some sort of job transition or search in the last 3 years, and I’ve picked up a few tips I thought I’d share.
- Stand out in the crowd – if you are one of 1,000 (which hasn’t been unusual), there is NO other way to proceed. What can you do to differentiate yourself from the competition?
- Be there first – by the time an ad shows up on-line (as newspapers are a thing of the past too), it is usually too late. Instead, you need to find the job openings before they show up in the typical places.
- The power of relationships – undoubtedly, 80%+ of my contacts achieved success through relationships (a referral, a recruiter they kept in touch with, a business colleague who remembered them after receiving a note etc.)
- Linked In – there is an amazing trend towards Linked In. Not only are recruiters searching Linked In, but it is a great repository for your profile, references/ recommendations, etc.
- Provide value – the most successful job seekers provided value. One poured through search engines and sent appropriate leads to other colleagues searching for a job. One provided referrals. Etc…..