Not only is sustainability gaining traction as an emerging trend but it can also add dollars to your bottom line.
- Reduce waste – look for all types of waste; not just the standard trash cans of manufacturing waste. Think about the lean definition of waste.
- Packaging – certainly there are countless opportunities in packaging. How can you optimize packaging while minimizing materials? Can you optimize for more efficient pallets? Truckloads?
- Heating, cooling & lighting – there are often times hidden opportunities in these areas. Are you using the latest lighting technology? Have you reviewed your energy usage? Opportunities often times pop out.
- Supply chain network – have you thought through the optimal supply chain network? Consider not just cost and lead time but also distribution patterns, the complete footprint etc.
- Collaborative partnering – have you thought about how to partner with your customers and suppliers to not only increase sustainability but to also improve the overall supply chain performance? You might be missing a goldmine!