There is an ever-increasing interest in emerging technologies for supply chain. When thinking of your end-to-end supply chain – from your suppliers’ suppliers, through your manufacturing and distribution operations, to your customers’ customers – you must consider technology to have any hope of achieving success.
In today’s Amazon-impacted environment, rapid information and product flow must be accompanied with low-cost and efficient supply chains to maximize the customer experience, profitable growth and cash flow. Trending technologies to consider in your strategic discussions include the following:
- Additive manufacturing such as 3D printing – it is no longer just for R&D. The progressive distributors are printing to order for items that used to require vast inventory and lead time.
- Collaborative customer technologies – programs such as vendor managed inventory, collaborative planning and innovative logistics partnerships can drive tremendous value.
- The internet of things is certainly taking on a life of its own – how do you plan to utilize it in your supply chain?
- If you support retail (and even if you don’t) and don’t have e-commerce, you have missed the boat!
- Robotics – there are plenty of uses for robotics throughout manufacturing and supply chain. Have you considered what might add value for your business? Robotics could give you a 24/7 flexibility…
What Emerging Technologies in Supply Chain Mean To You
Staying on top of emerging and/or trending supply chain technologies is imperative in order to succeed in today’s Amazon-impacted world. Don’t get carried away with the latest fads. Instead, take a step back and think strategically about what will support your business today, tomorrow and five years from now. Selectively integrate the appropriate technologies to accelerate your growth and success.
Did you like this article? Read on about tech in supply chain…