We get “too many” calls to help resolve problems associated with system upgrades and/or new system implementations. How can some of these disasters be avoided upfront?
- Navigating ERP sharks– ERP software suppliers must be some of the most aggressive salespeople I’ve seen. Even when you are careful, they’ll likely focus more on the bells & whistles of their system than important details of key functionality needed to drive results.
- Standard functionality– Standard functionality is the downfall of ERP selection projects. In my experience, 20% of the time should be spent on standard functionality since core suppliers will have it. Reverse the order and spend 80% on unique functionality.
- Lopsided team– Although there will be some functions more interested than others in the selection project, if they decided for everyone, you shouldn’t be surprised if you end up with a great system in that particular area with the rest left to luck.
- Losing track of features– Although it seems obvious while sitting in the demo, it becomes amazingly difficult to figure out which feature went with which software a few days later. Note follow-up questions and compare notes immediately following the demo.
- Focusing solely on functionality– Don’t get lost in functionality and forget that the software supplier will be your business partner. They will make or break your success.
Interested in avoiding these pitfalls? Check out our ACE ERP proprietary process to avoid these pitfalls and achieve endgame results.